Tuesday, June 26, 2007

28 days later


There are a lot of things you can buy with £12.00. For example, a quick glance at Amazon informs me I could buy the film The Train (with Burt Lancaster, 1964) on DVD, a copy of the Bob Dylan CD Slow Train Coming, or even the book Strangers on a Train by Patricia Highsmith. I could buy any one of these and still have enough change from my £12.00 to buy sweets in the shape of trains (can you get sweets in the shape of trains?) if that is what I chose to do with my £12.00.
But, sadly, this option is not open to me, because I have still not received my compensation cheque from FGW for a journey I took on the 28th of April. It is now, if I have counted correctly, 59 days since I spent the money on a taxi after being abandoned beside the road late at night. It is also, more importantly, more than 28 days since I was informed that a cheque would be forthcoming. And I quote, from a letter dated the 24th of May:
"I have arranged for a cheque to the value of £12.00 to be sent to you from our Finance Department. This will be sent directly from them, under separate cover, at the earliest available opportunity, please allow up to 28 days for delivery". Well, the 28 day period has passed, and the cheque has not arrived. So, complaint letter number 3 is on its way to the customer service department, which, by the way is a freepost address (First Great Western Customer Services Team, FREEPOST SWB40576, Plymouth, PL4 6ZZ).
I should have warned them, I get very upset from the lack of sugar which results from eating no sweets in the shape of trains (there must be sweets in the shape of trains, surely? Imagine the pleasure in being able to bite them in half, a bit like jelly babies), and when I get upset, I write letters. Lots and lots of letters. I think you should too.

3 comments:

fErDy said...

yeah, you should write another letter , and make a follow up. but a big patient should you apply. Normally dealing with a beurocracy is like this

ferdy
http://takethatportion.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

You should write to them threatening to start charging interest.

I suspect that it isn't a question of FGW's greed it is just that they have an incompetant finance department (not the bets way for a company to ensure good morale in its staff and suppliers)

Helen said...

I agree, I'm sure it's incompetence and not greed, but it's the incompetence that I'm so annoyed about.
I suspect it might actually be the sheer weight of demand for refunds that's causing the delay, but, again, not my problem.